Check Availability and Make Reservation

William Borden Room


This second-floor room now includes antique 4-poster twin-size beds, antique armoire and a combination shower-tub bath. William Borden Jr. (1731–1799) was the first documented owner of the land on which this house was built. Son of William Borden and Alice Hull, William Borden Jr. was born in Tiverton, Rhode Island. He came to Carteret County with his family and settled on Harlowe Creek, where his father built a shipyard and sawmill. The first Quaker meeting was organized in 1733 at the home of William Borden. In 1765 records show that “a good Quaker” near Beaufort distilled turpentine and made other naval stores. He also continued the family shipbuilding business—becoming a leader of that industry in Carteret County. More history is included on our weblog.

The Front Street Inn  ::  301 Front Street, Beaufort, North Carolina  28516  ::  *  ::  stay@thefrontstreetinnbeaufort.com